Thursday, November 04, 2004

Baguio's Mode of Transportation then

Back then you can only name a few of the bus lines to and from Baguio City. If you had to go to La Union, Vigan or Laoag, Philippine Rabbit was your best bet. It was then located along Magsaysay Avenue.

If you wanted to go to Pangasinan or Manila, there was Pantranco. Pantranco was the first bus line to offer air-conditioned buses to and from Baguio. Victory Liner came only later on in the Picture.

To go to the Mountain Provinces, there was Dangwa Tranco owned and operated by the Dangwas and their close friends and relatives.

Just as there were only quite a few bus lines serving the city of Baguio, there were also only a few main roads leading to Baguio City. Again to get to La Union and the Ilocos Regions, you would take Naguilian Road, to Manila Kennon Road and to the Mountain Provinces, the Halsema Highway.

Except for Nagulian Road, Halsema and Kennon Roads were notorious for landslides. I remember a time when I was a kid that we hadn’t had any meat for at least a month. Our meat supplies either came from La Union and Pangasinan and if the roads were impassable, it meant no vegetable and meat supplies from the nearby provinces for us. The people had to make do with dried fish and canned goods but even these eventually became scarce.

Within the city itself, there were jeepneys taking you from your area to the city centre. The oldest jeepneys I had seen could only contain 6 passengers, 2 in front and 2 on each side at the back. It was in the early 80s when operators started extending their seats to accommodate 7 or 8 passengers on each side.

Because it is in Baguio where you will find the only military school in the Philippines, we had an airport. I knew that the airport was functional only when the President of the Philippines was coming to attend the PMA graduation rites. Most of the time, it was closed. Baguio can get so foggy back when I was young anyway and more often than not, flights were cancelled because of its zero visibility.
Generally, everything was within walking distance if your were desperate. The air was still clean.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nick Ballesteros said...

I tell my friends who visit Baguio that if they would live tour the place, they can always re-orient themselves should they get lost by taking a jeepney ride going to the Plaza, because all the rides converge at the Maharlika livelihood Center, at Burnham Park, or in the neighboring areas of Session Road. It's difficult to get lost.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Romesez said...

I attended a month seminar in MSAC, Trinidad, Benguet. It was still beautiful during that time, mid-70's. The vicitnity was covered with fog in the morning as we went for jogging. I even experienced visiting the Benguet (or Trinidad) Municipal Hall where the mummies situated. I heard that someone had stolen those. Akala siguro tinapa (smoke fish) , please forgive me LOL.

When I went to Baguio last year, 2004, the city was filled with traffic and a lot of people walking to and from. Sorry to say though that it was not as beautiful as it used to be. The Barham (is that how you spell it?) Park was a little filthy especially the restrooms (bathroom na nga ba iyon sa Pinas?) were not properly maintain. Good thing they have a good restaurant, but you cannot use their restroom unless you are a customer.

My posting meant no harm. I apologize if I sounded bitter...either tumaas ang standard ko (patawad po) or the city maintenance really became bad.

Anyways, I had fun watching the lady cooking tupigs and was given a good deal for seating next to her calling up customers to come over and buy. Kaya yung niluto para sa akin especial at malaman. I just thought I would share.

God bless po sa lahat and Merry Christmas.
- Tat Z

11:34 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Ok lang Romesez...Merry Christmas din

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i really love collecting photos of buses mention here in this topic, have you got some photos. I really love Pantranco, hope you can send me one. Thanks, by the way my name is Renato, and my email is - ates222@yahoo.com

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited in finding your web not only for your recipes but also some jokes about Baguio City.You know why,because I'm from Baguio City.Actually,I'm from Mountain Province but took my studies in BSU(MSAC before)'til I decided to go abroad.First I went to Hongkong like most Filipinos did and after a year and a half I decided to come here to Canada.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget BAL (baguio auto lines) in what is now the GSIS building. my grandfather used to work there...

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dangwa was THE one to take in case we missed our schoolbus back to BCI. That Dangwa Pantranco station was something else. The sights, sounds and smells was an exciting event for a 1st year high school kid. I once saw a man go after another with a knife.

But whenever I think of Baguio, I'd have to say that's where I WALKED the most in all my life. Hoofing was THE mode of transport during my time there. The city was small enough where my buddies and I would walk to STC from the old SLU college in Magsaysay then on to Brent, in hopes of trying to catch or find the schoolbus. Then walk all the way to Harrison Rd. hoping it would still be there. I sure remember doing a LOT of walking at that time. Only a few of my friends were able to drive the family car and riding with them was a luxury. Thanks, I do enjoy reading your posts.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember the Dangwa bus where one side of the Bus was open.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous iedy loyd di said...

i hope from what i read the problem with the air transpo. problem, hoping that there will come some alternative in making more access in going here in baguio and as the gate way to other provinces in CAR more easier form of travel will be proposed to let others appreciate as well as to help protect the beauty we have here in the CAR region... =) iedy.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home